Thursday, April 21, 2016

Choreography in Words

Atlantic City Ballet has just finished a performance of Carmen which was a great production to be a part of. I loved the rehearsal process and the show and really learnt a lot from the experience.

The BAPP course and tasks really encouraged me to articulate the experience in my journal. Not only did I note down personal feelings and events in my journal but I also used it as a learning tool. I used my notebook to write down the choreography as I learnt it. Writing it down helped me to digest and learn the movement and also think more specifically about what I was dancing and how it should be performed. Putting the choreography into words made me think more precisely about the choreography and be more specific with arm lines, positions, head placement etc. For some scenes I created stage maps marking with an X where I was supposed to be positioned and arrows to show my direction of travel to make sure I was in the right place, in the right scene, at the right time and moving in the right direction! Also, as I was writing it down it generated questions I needed to ask and parts of the choreography I needed to clarify to ensure I was performing it correctly. I am a very precise person so to me it is essential that I know exactly what I am meant to be doing, this is particularly important when I am performing in corps de ballet sections. If a Corps de ballet is not exactly the same on stage the performance looks sloppy and unrehearsed.

As a 'newbie' to the company over here I still feel a lot of pressure to prove myself. By journalising the choreography it has really helped me to pick up the choreography quicker and remember it more accurately. In the past I have struggled with picking choreography up quickly but having notes I can go over in my own time has been a really useful tool for me. In addition, I wrote down corrections we were given in later rehearsals so I could reflect on them and remember them for the performance.

I would highly recommend other dancers writing down choreography as it really helps you to think about the movements you are performing. I certainly shall be doing it for my future performances, especially as we have Swan Lake coming up!

Me and my friend and fellow trainee backstage in Carmen performance

No comments:

Post a Comment