Thursday, November 3, 2016

Keeping in touch

Thought I would check back in with a bit of an update as to what I have been up to and where my thoughts lie at the moment...

Thank you to those who commented on my previous blog post, it was rally great to hear your ideas and comments on the topics.  It was also really useful to hear your opinions when choosing my enquiry topic.

I have finally decided to go down the route of the benefits of children being exposed to dance from a young age, looking specifically into how dance companies reach out to younger people and the positive influence this has.

Image result for baby ballet

I have been talking to Lottie through Facebook and exchanging ideas and discussing topics related to our  enquiry subjects. This has been extremely beneficial for me and I look forward to speaking with her more about this. We have recently been discussing our opinion on how students should be rewarded for their progress and how the method of praise influences the class as a whole. For example certain methods of rewarding can actually have a negative impact on those who aren't receiving it. Would be really interesting to hear anyone else's thoughts on this. I am aware that there are quite a few people on this course who also teach and it would be great to hear from you what ways you recognise and acknowledge students achievements.

Image result for reward
I hope to be in contact with a few more of you to discuss ideas and aid each other in our research and find ways our topics may coincide with each other. Please don't hesitate to get in touch, would love to chat! This is my facebook profile if you want to add me and message me on there

https://www.facebook.com/rebecca.jones.3386

As well as looking into what websites, forums, articles etc have to say about my particular topic I have also started to discuss with people in my company their views and experiences. I have begun this by starting conversations about how each dancer got started with dancing and how they were introduced to it. I am trying to find out the different ways people were originally inspired to start dancing.

Image result for little dancer looking up to big

Looking forward into my enquiry I am considering who I may wish to try and contact in the professional industry to gain a deeper insight into how dance companies are reaching out to young audiences and also the positive affects this has on the children and also the company.

Look forward to hearing people's thoughts and comments on all this!

Rebecca x


7 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    I am actually going down a similar ish route, but looking at how Dance can help develop children in education/social/mental capacity (I still need to condense this down a little further) however would be really good to chat to you! - I think we are friends on skype??? - so would be great to chat and discuss ideas :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura!

      Sounds like it would be great for us to discuss with each other our topics! I will send you a skype message over the weekend :) Looking forward to talking to you x

      Delete
  2. Hi Rebecca (and Laura!) Thanks for engaging me on Facebook, I hope we can continue to share some more ideas.
    I am currently looking into a similar topic to you both - what skills children learn by
    engaging in performing arts - and was hoping I could get involved with a Skype session?
    It would be a great help to me and I'd love to hear how your ideas have progressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the comment! Yes think it would be great for us to skype. I feel our topics really overlap so would be great to work together and share ideas and findings!

      Delete
  3. Are you going to be looking at the impact dance has on young people by looking at the stories dancers tell about their experiences dancing as children. This would be a really good way to go about finding out more. It is difficult to ask children what effect dance is having on them as they don't know - or if they do might not have the language to tell you, and plus you are a grown-up and they are not and that can effect what they say. Going about it by getting people to reflect and remember is a great way to approach the topic.

    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a conversation with Paula yesterday and decided to branch into how the company I am with is reaching out to the community. Within this I will be looking at its outreach to children. I had begun my research by talking to my peers and friends who dance as to how they began dancing, what inspired them to start and how they think dancing from a young age has benefitted them in life both in the studio and in everyday life experiences. Would be great to touch base and skype with you about possible enquiry methods and to discuss my topic. Thanks for your comment!
      Rebecca :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Rebecca - following on from conversation- who would be good to talk to and how will this be related to your current dance practice?

    ReplyDelete